Rick is an Officer in PennStuart’s Johnson City, Tennessee office and is a member of the firm’s Business, Commercial Transactions, Employment, Litigation, and Real Estate practice groups. Rick is the firm’s senior attorney in Johnson City, and with more than 37 years of transactional experience, he handles some of the firm’s most complex commercial transaction matters.
Rick is a trial attorney with more than 35 years of trial and appellate experience in state and federal courts throughout Tennessee. He is also a Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 31 Mediator. Rick’s practice consists of business representation (advising and consulting on business matters), business organizations (formations, mergers, acquisitions, consolidations, reorganizations and dissolutions), commercial real estate transactions (acquisition, development, financing, and leasing), commercial litigation, and estate administration. Rick’s clients include real estate developers, banks, contractors, medical and other professional practices, and commercial and industrial enterprises. Rick has examined more than 10,000 real estate titles and has taught real estate law at East Tennessee State University for 18 years.
- transactions involving multi-state sites for a diverse field of industries (both real property and business assets);
- asset purchases and sales and merger transactions for businesses ranging from pharmacies to tile distributors/retailers;
- certifying title and issuing title insurance for 72 pieces of real estate in connection with the acquisition of a large convenience store chain;
- representing seller of multi-state funeral home operating company with 16+ funeral homes;
- representing purchase of funeral home business with 9 funeral homes.