Steve is an Officer in PennStuart’s Abingdon, Virginia office and is member of the firm’s Commercial Litigation practice group.
Steve’s practice focuses on business transactions and litigation in state and federal trial and appellate courts. He has tried over 175 cases including over 100 jury trials and has argued more than 25 appeals in the Virginia Supreme Court and the federal Courts of Appeal. He has extensive experience in business litigation, environmental regulation, safety, employment, community sales, local taxes, leasing, and land and mineral business organizations and acquisitions.
Steve served in the Vietnam War and was awarded the Bronze Star. Before joining PennStuart, he served in the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps.
- Virginia Lime Co. v. Craigsville Distributing, Inc., 670 F.2d 1366 (1982)
- East Tennessee Natural Gas Company v. Riner, 239 Va. 64 (1990)
- Large v. Clinchfield Coal Company, 239 Va. 144 (1990)
- Powell Mountain Joint Venture v. Moore, 248 Va. 63 (1994)
- Molinary v. Powell Mountain Coal Co. 173 F.3d 920 (1999)
- North Fork Coal Corp. v. Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission, 691 F.3d 735 (2012)
- Virginia Electric and Power Company v. Hylton, 292 Va. 92 (2016)